8/8/11

Carrega's Corner: To Straighten or Not to Straighten?

By Christina Carrega


This weekend was the first time I went to a series of events and did not get my hair straightened. With all the hustle and bustle a convention can bring, I battled with the thought that since I would be moving so much that having my hair straight would be "easier."

However, I allowed my thoughts of going natural reign supreme and made it work just fine.

I attended the National Association of Black Journalist convention in Philadelphia, PA and believe me, it was the best time I had amongst my colleagues and peers in a long time. From 8am to 4am it was a non-stop plethora of networking, learning labs, lectures, socializing and of course partying like we didn't have to get up in a few more hours and do it again.

It was all fun and a great time, but while my fellow journalist went to bed after the nights out, I was in my room either double-strand-twist braiding my hair or putting it up in such a manner than I didn't have to worry about knots in the next 3 hours.

Thank goodness I did.

As soon as I woke up, I'd throw it in a banana clip and go. One night, I didn't feel like braiding my hair and I put it in a bun and woke up the next morning with a cute curl that added to my pony tail.

On twitter, I follow @taeheckard, who a cast member of BET's hit series The Game and she introduced something she calls a "ninja bun." The ninja bun is the cutest style that many women who also follow her has been sending twitpics of since she introduced it to her audience a few months ago.

And I attempted to wear one, but didn't get it as high as she does, but its so cute and easy for those nights out at a party or just to hang out.

Overall, wearing my hair natural was the best idea. I'm glad I didn't have to worry about my hair remaining straight especially when it rained or was sweating from doing the Wobble too long at the parties, lol.

Does anyone else have this struggle whether they are going to a wedding or business parties?

No comments:

Post a Comment