8/17/11

Carrega's Corner: Thread On, Wax Off

By: Christina Carrega


Look in the mirror and the one place my eyes focus on are those excessive hairs just staring at me in the reflection of my bathroom mirror.

Those straggling hairs that look so out of place and give me the feeling of a female wolf.

Those coarse, rustic hairs that grow so quickly that it makes my entire face look unkempt no matter how I draw them in.

Yes, I'm talking horribly about...my eyebrows.

Since I was 16-years-old I've been getting my eyebrows done. I still remember the response the spa technician at the Macy's on Fulton Street told me after the hot wax was completely removed from my sore face.

"Wow, you look like a swan."

Yes, she called me a swan. I think its a complement, right?

Anyway, is it me or there is something about getting your eyebrows done that makes your face look even more presentable?

I just walked out of my eyebrow threading spot on Hillside Avenue near Sutphin Blvd and I can't help but feel like $100 bucks. I stumbled along this neat little shop as I was walking to work and couldn't help but notice their out-of-this-world deal for eyebrow threading...$2.99!!! Yes, $2.99 and you get a nice little eyebrow massage afterwards.

I prefer to do the threading over the waxing because with the thread they can catch hairs that the wax and unskilled waxers can't with a tweezers. Also it is much cleaner that the double-dipping-sticks rule some salons use.

Having my hair natural made me more conscious of my eyebrow activity. Every week-and-a half to two weeks, I must get them done. If I let a third week go by I feel like my face looks bad.

Does anyone else feel like their eyebrows speaks volumes to their overall look?

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely not lol. Personally, I don't understand the need or look for a "done" eyebrow. What does that mean? Why is it more aesthetically appealing than an "undone" eyebrow. Personally, I sometimes feel that women put far too much stock in altering their appearance to fit a certain mold of beauty. But that's me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I have never believed in the whole "beauty is pain" mantra. If it hurts, I ain't doing it lol

    ReplyDelete