8/31/11

The Mizani Natural Curl Key

I know one of the biggest confusions within the natural hair community seems to be figuring out what 'hair type' you are. September 2 marks my 6th months of being natural & honestly, I still am unable to properly identify my hair type. My hair towards the back tends to go towards the 3c type, while the rest of my head tends to dabble in the 4a or 4b type. But like I said, I honestly still don't know. I figure as I continue along my natural hair journey as my hair continues to grow, I'll be able to have a better look at my curl patterns. Nonetheless, I've wanted to share with you girls another hair classification type I came across this time from MIZANI.

With the support of their world renowned scientists in the United States and France, MIZANI has pioneered the Natural Curl Key. After years of research and testing, their laboratories defined global hair types based on specific-shape criteria and utilizing a scientific approach to measuring features of human-hair strands, including curve diameter, curl index, number of twists and number of waves. This research resulted in the identification of eight distinct hair types worldwide.

I will only be talking about five of the eight hair types today, but feel free to visit HERE for more information on their Natural Curl Key.

Type IV - Curly
Defined, mixed curl patterns: loops to spirals; ringlets to corkscrews
TEXTURE: Thin to thick
GROWTH PATTERN: Grows down from the scalp, then curls
BODY / VOLUME: Body, volume and bounce
ELASTICITY: Moderate stretching with moderate return
POROSITY: Slightly raised to raised cuticle. Prone to fizz.

Type V - Very Curly 
Defined curl with S-shapes forming into coils
TEXTURE: Thin to thick or combination
GROWTH PATTERN: Grows down from the scalp, then curls
BODY / VOLUME: Reduced volume with some movement. Prone to be compact. ELASTICITY: Stretching with minimal return
POROSITY: Raised cuticle. Likely to frizz and tangle.

Type VI - Coiled
Loose afro – medium coils close to the scalp
TEXTURE: Thin to thick or combination
GROWTH PATTERN: Grows up and away from the scalp, then curls
BODY / VOLUME: Some volume. Likely to be compact, less movement. ELASTICITY: Stretching with minimal return
POROSITY: Raised cuticle. Some frizz, tangled.

Type VII - Very Coiled
Tight afro – distinct, springy coils closer to scalp
TEXTURE: Thin to thick or combination
GROWTH PATTERN: Curls directly from the scalp
BODY / VOLUME: Minimal volume. Some compaction, no movement. ELASTICITY: Stretching with minimal return
POROSITY: Raised cuticle. Frizzy, tangled and prone to knot.

Type VIII - Zig-Zag Coiled
Extremely tight afro – interlocking coils and zig-zag patterns
TEXTURE: Thin to thick or combination
GROWTH PATTERN: Curls directly from the scalp
BODY / VOLUME: Compact with no movement
ELASTICITY: Stretching with minimal return
POROSITY: Raised cuticle. Frizzy, tangled with some knots.


The thing I've noticed about my hair when wet & without products its about a Type V. But there are days where, unfortunately I neglect my hair & won't moisturize it & it can turn into a Type VI & VII real fast.

What's your hair type based on the Mizani Natural Curl Key? 

3 comments:

  1. Personally, I think hair typing is a slightly arbitrary system- I do not find it that helpful in learning my hair. As I have type V, VI, VII and VIII hair depending on the day, I don't see the need to categorize it as my hair. It is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, so i definetly like this one better than the 3c/4a thingie. using this im IV-V.

    i dont think hair typing is necessarily for "learning" about your hair, but more of connecting with other ppl with similar hair as your own. for instance since im IV-V and another lady is VIII we may have different techniques on doing some styles or different results/feelings from the same product opposed to someone who had the similar hair type as either of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my hair is type VI based on this curl key. But I have a mix of textures so I don't get too caught up on fitting my hair into a curl typing system.

    ReplyDelete