8/6/11

Biotin Health Challenge


As of lately, I've been really trying to incorporate vitamins into my daily routine. I worked in a pharmacy since I was 15 so I was always helping out customers with picking vitamins that would help them throughout their days. I really never jumped on the vitamin wave until about a year ago, when the pharmacist I worked with would make it his job to give me vitamins daily before I started my shift. As each day went by, I noticed my health would get increasingly better as well as my overall energy. Then I stopped taking them for a while and next thing you know I'd be sick.

So, yesterday I went and picked up Biotin. Biotin is an important B-Vitamin that provides dietary support for healthy hair and nails as well as energy production. Now, I picked up Natrol Biotin 10,000mcg. 10,000mcg seems like a lot doesn't it? Well, when you actually convert it to mg -- which most medications strengths are dosed in -- it's only 10mg. On average, you're supposed to get up to 150mg of Biotin in your system daily. But, after doing my research & through some of my friend's person experiences a common problem that occurs when taking Biotin is breakouts.

Now, my skin is pretty cool. I've never had a zit or pimple, I just get heat bumps periodically throughout the year. So when I heard about the breakouts, I figured I'd still incorporate my Biotin into my regimen, just at a smaller dosage. The thought of breaking out terrifies me a bit. As opposed to taking the Biotin, three times a day -- my bottle only suggest taking it once daily, with a meal. So I'm going to do just that. For the next months or so, or at least until I finished my 100 pills that came in the bottle, I'm going to closely observe the results that Biotin does to not only my hair and nails, but to my skin. By the end of the 100 days, if I haven't experienced a breakout & have received great results then I will purchase Biotin 50mg next.

So, basically my Biotin Challenge is really just making sure I take the Biotin daily along with my Multivitamin w. Iron, and B6 pill. I look to add B Complex into my vitamin regimen, but for now I'll stick with my B6 since it really gives me all the energy I need. I won't document daily on the site how the Biotin cooperating, unless it's something negative, but I will be doing 3 updates as I hit the 30, 60 and 90 day marks. Hopefully by Day 100, I see some serious growth. My nails already grow so fast, so in a way -- I hope they don't grow any faster, but hey.. bring it on Biotin. Today is Day 2.

By the way, I've worked in a pharmacy for over 6 years & pharmacy was once my major before I moved to the awesome world of graphic design -- if any of you ever have questions regarding medications & vitamins, I'm you're go to girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment