8/22/11

Going Natural: Merissa's Hair Journey


My name is Merissa. I'm a 28 year old attorney originally from Pensacola, Florida. I currently live in the Los Angeles, CA area. I'm married with 3 children who are also natural. We are just a happy natural family, lol. I'm on both YouTube [Merissavachael] & recently joined Twitter [@merissavachael]. I love people and am an open book so feel free to ask me questions or just say hello!

How long have you been natural?
I will be 2 years natural on September 19th of this year.

Why did you choose to go natural?
I started getting relaxers at a very young age, but as I got older, I never really liked wearing my hair straight. I would frequently rollerset it to make it look like it was naturally curly and for years, many people had no clue that my hair was relaxed. One day I stumbled across youtube and the natural hair community. It was there that I really discovered that my own texture would curl as long as I stopped putting in the relaxer. I started educating myself on how to care for my hair and made the decision to just do the big chop and go from there.


What's your hair regiment?
I like to keep most things in my life as simple as possible. I shampoo approximatley once a month. I co-wash weekly and set my hair in small braids or twists and allow my hair to air dry. I will then rock a braidout or twistout in many different styles for the remainder of the week until wash day.

What advice would you give to a newbie to help her along her natural hair journey?
Take the time to learn about your hair texture and what it wants to do. Don't spend countless hours trying to figure out how to make your hair have the same texture/pattern as someone else. Everyone's hair is different. So even if your hair looks similar to anothers, it may in fact be very different. Once you figure out what your hair wants to do, go with it. Find products and styles that you like and roll with it. Make your own mark.

What's the best thing about being natural?
The versatility of our hair. We can go from wavy, to curly, to straight, to kinky,to in a fro,to slicked into a bun in a matter of days or even hours. You get to choose the look you want for the day and can always wet your hair and change if a certain style is not working for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment