8/31/11

Going Natural: Shayna's Hair Journey

Blow Out - Feb. 2011


February 15th 2009.
I Big Chopped, pretty forward and straight to the point right?
I would be lying if I said I had some deep reason for shaving my head or that I wanted to get in touch with my “roots”, while cute that wasn’t necessarily my motive. Rewind to a week prior BBC (before big chop for arguments sake), somehow, I came across a natural hair tutorial video. I don’t remember the key word I put in the search box, but the first video was a natural hair wash and go tutorial. I was in awe, and spent the entire day watching video after video non stop. It was sort of an epiphany. For months I had been wondering if I would be perming my hair for the rest of my life, but if I didn’t perm it what else would I do? After a week of watching videos, reading blogs, and after perming my hair for 8 years, I decided that this was not for me and big chopped.

Feb. 2009

Twist Out Puff - December 2009

This journey hasn’t always been easy, and anything in life worth going through wont be. It started out as a hair style change, and ended up being a journey of self discovery. Since I’ve been natural my confidence has sky rocketed. I feel completely authentic and unapologetically me. I love the stares and confused looks on the faces of people I walk by, and honestly it makes me walk that much taller. What I love most is that going natural has affected those around me, and has encouraged loved ones (my bff Elle and mom), and even a few of my co workers to go natural. My only regret, wishing that I had made this decision sooner ;)

Twist Out - July 2010 / Feb. 2011 


August 2011 

No comments:

Post a Comment