8/9/11

I Big Chopped: Ky's Natural Hair Journey

By Kydee Williams

Hair 2 months after my Big Chop!

Hey Curlies!

My name is Ky and I am a recent graduate from Penn State University. My natural hair journey officially commenced while at school on April 1st 2011 when my Carols Daughter Tui collection finally came in the mail. Prior to this faithful day that changed my life my hair went through its ups and downs but I must admit after reading tons of hair journeys and watching many Youtube videos I do believe my journey with hair is very unique. My first weave was at age 14 for my 8th grade graduation. Prior to that I wore a mixture of braids for an extended period and my real hair, which was pressed. No Perms. Sometimes I wonder why my mom would deem it necessary to put a full-head weave in my hair at such an early age. The longest my hair has ever been was bra strap length (BPL) at age 15 after one year of wearing a weave. I should have taken the weave out then while it was at a great length but my mother insisted on putting another weave in and perming it for the first time. This eventually resulted in the first time my hair fell out. I was 16 and traumatized but I didn’t shed a tear. I was never emotionally connected to my hair because since I could remember my mom had put braids and weaves in it. Despite this loss in my hair, I continued to put full head weaves and kept them in until I was 21 years old.

The last weave I ever got due to the amount of hair loss.

During those 7 years of weaving my hair, my hair fell out 3 times. The last time it fell out, I knew my hair had enough and was screaming for me to have mercy upon it. November 2010 I took off my last weave not by choice but because I had to. My hair was damaged beyond repair. I decided to wear a wig and to be honest I was so embarrassed that my dependency on weave had resulted into this state of no return.

After I took the weave out, I noticed how limp & damaged my hair was. 

Unlike many others my natural journey did not start as a result of a bad perm or damaged ends. My natural journey commenced because I suffered from severe damage from wearing weaves non-stop. I was lost from November 2010 to March 2011 because I didn’t know what steps I needed to take to prevent the hair that I had left from breakage and sheading. I really had no hope that it would ever grow back.

Finally it dawned on me…what’s the use in sitting here believing that my hair did not have the potential of growing when it did? I didn’t notice that so many girls surrounded me at my school that was natural. Some even wore a wig during the first year or so before their hair grew out. I thought if their hair could grow then why couldn’t mine? So I decided to go natural and haven’t looked back since. I big chopped my hair all off and researched what exactly it meant to be a natural. I stayed up countless nights researching on Youtube (which is heaven sent) and on natural hair blogs. I also talked to my “natural hair sistah’s” at my school who encouraged me about my decision and gave me hope. Now I can honestly say I love my natural journey. It opened my eyes to a new lifestyle and gave me confidence in accepting who I am without the weaves and extensions. Becoming a natural is one of the best things that have happened to me in a long time.

2 comments: