8/9/11

Hair Q&A: Pre-poo? What is that & how do I do it?

Q: I see a lot of Naturals always talking about a Pre-Poo? What is that & how can I incorporate it into my hair regimen?

A: Pre-poo, also known as a pre-shampoo conditioner, is when you either take conditioner or oils, or both and apply it to your hair usually before shampooing your hair. Pre-pooing will help ensure the hair stays moisturized even after shampooing with a product that contains sulfates (which is usually drying to the hair -- so we try to avoid it).


There are many natural homemade recipes you can try as pre-poo treatments. The recipe I use is a simple, quick & cheap recipe involving: EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) & EVCO (Extra Virgin Coconut Oil). I mix 1/3 of each oil into a plastic bowl before throwing it in the microwave for about 20 seconds. With the warm oil, I then take about 10 minutes to roughly part my hair with my fingertips & apply the warm oil to my scalp while massaging it in thoroughly. After finishing up my oil massage, I basically will pour the remainder oil in my hair, making sure I lather the ends. I usually will leave this in for up to an hour, or more depending on what I'm doing.

Now this is just one of the pre-poos I use. Feel free to incorporate a little of your conditioner and own oils to come up with your own formula. The beauty about natural hair is finding out what works for you.

What ingredients do you use as a pre-poo? 

7 comments:

  1. I love pre-poo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. EVOO + my fave conditioner. pre-poo's also a good way to use up bits and ends of conditioner left in the bottle that won't be enough for your usual conditioning regimen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prepoo with coconut oil over night, and/or I use africa's best oil as a hot oil treatment with a plastic cap for about 2 hours or more

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pre-poo in order to detangle and give a little back to what was lost from (usually) being in a style. I use a mix of conditioner, water, and olive oil

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pre-poo with oil, an aloe vera gel/oil mix or a coconut milk/honey mix (applied via a spray bottle). They all help with finger detangling and leave my hair soft.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always been hesitant to pre poo bc I was afraid that all of the gunk would not be washed out from a weeks worth of sweat from working out since there was no sulfate involved. Since I have an extra day to from the holiday, I just might try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I will start pre-poo from now on.

    ReplyDelete