8/31/11

Carrega's Corner: Natural Straightener?

By: Christina Carrega


I stopped into my hair salon in Brooklyn to pick up my mother from getting her hair done and as soon as I walked in, I felt the looks from my main stylist burning into my scalp like a virtual blow drier straightening my locks. I sat in the waiting area and she looked over at me four times as she was blowing out the curls from the roller set in her clients hair. I did a wave and said, "How are you?"

She replied, "Fine mami, when you getting a perm?"

She's been asking me this question for the last three years now.

"I'm not, I keep telling you, I'm not, why you bothering me," I said with a smile on my face.

"I have this new natural relaxer that will just loosen your curls so they won't be so tight, it takes almost 4 hours to do, but if you make an appointment, I'll do it for you."

I looked at her and tried to dissect what she was offering me and my first question is always, "Oh yeah, how much?"

"Its not cheap, its like $300, but it last 6 months and I've done it on a lot girls and they love it."

What the EF is a natural relaxer? I have very tight curls when I wash it, but as I've told you all before only 75% of my curls flow the same way and my stylist knows this so why on Earth would she try to entice me with such a product.

Has any of the naturalist used a natural relaxer and if so if it worth to stretch my pennies on it?

7 comments:

  1. yeaaaaaah...i'm thinking she means the keratin straightner maybe? or probably talking a relaxer mixed with conditioner, it has happened before *shudders*. doesn't sound like anything i'd look into, knowing that she wants you to perm so badly...she'd trick you into a perm, me thinks


    Vonnie of Socialitedreams.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interested to know the ingredients, would one still be considered natural after using this natural relaxer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. would this change my hair texture indefinitely? Ive always thought about using such products but im scared that it'll mess up my hair composition : (

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't do it, sounds like a horror story waiting to happen. I've heard of something called a silkener that defines and somewhat loosens your curl pattern, but it has sodium hydroxide (or lye) in it so I'm not too sure about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote there's no such thing as a natural relaxer. Don't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I will do it, shoot, save me $300 bones too, sounds like a better deal, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. no way! I once put a so-called "natural" relaxer in my hair... i had 1 strand of hair left on my head! lol thank goodness it grew back

    http://www.luvandlulu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete