8/13/11

The Problem with Shedding

By: Kydee Williams


Last week, I was catching up with a college friend of mine who started her Natural Journey a few weeks after I did. We discussed the progress that our hair was making as well as the reactions that people are having to our decision to go natural. We laughed and sent pictures to each other and then she mentioned through all the good there was a bad. Although her hair was growing, it was shedding uncontrollably and everything she tried would not work. She even went on to say maybe it was a problem that she only faced. I couldn’t help but remember the shedding I experienced when I first made the decision to go natural. Hair was all over my sink, my bathtub and my bathroom floor. I was going insane trying to figure out how to stop my hair from shedding to that degree. I purchased and started using Nexxus Emergencee Strengthening Polymeric Reconstructor in addition to my Carols Daughter Tui collection and after a few weeks the shedding stopped. That was four months ago and I haven’t had the problem since.

But what about you guys?

Is shedding something you experienced before or during your natural journey? And if so what products did you use to stop this from happening?

1 comment:

  1. Well, now it depends on why your hair is shedding. Are you getting enough moisture? And by that, I mean are you drinking enough water every day? How is your overall health? Are you on medications? How is the weather (dry weather can make normal shedding worse). Are you sure it's shed hair? Look at the ends of your strands. If there is a white bulb on there, it's a normally shed hair, and one of the 74-125 you would shed on a regular day. No bulb? Then it's a broken hair, which is completely different. Your hair could have many, many issues and what works for me (up my internal and external moisture, stop manipulating my hair so much, cowash instead of shampoo) might not work for your hair...

    ReplyDelete