8/7/11

The All-in-One Elixir: Grapeseed Oil


When I went oil shopping a few days ago, I had originally picked up Grapeseed Oil as one of my purchases. I remembered reading some other hair recipes including it that I wanted to try. Yet, not really thinking it was beneficial to my regimen I quickly replaced it with my Eucalyptus Oil. Today while browsing All Day Natural, I came across this lovely article about Grapeseed Oil that I just had to share. Needless to say, I'll be taking another trip back this week to pick up my Grapeseed Oil.

Miss Lycia of All Day Natural writes;

Gather round and pay attention, friends. For those who don’t already know, I just HAD to share with you the perfect elixir for all of your natural beauty needs. No, it’s not some expensive cream or rare potion from the rainforest. You can find this at your local grocery store: grapeseed oil!

Where do I begin? I use grapeseed oil as my go-to gem for my skin and hair. Like other natural oils I have featured before, it has a multitude of uses.


  • Beat the Heat. Grapeseed oil is absolutely ideal as a heat protectant for those of you who blow-dry or flat iron your hair. It moisturizes well, without being too greasy and helps to protect the ends from heat damage. Daphne from the informative natural hair blog, Une Autre Naturelle, shared the impressive results of using grapeseed oil on her daughter’s gorgeous hair.
  • Maximum Moisture. As I have shared before, my hair tends to be dryyyyy. Incorporating grapeseed oil into my hair treatments always makes my hair oh-so-soft! Before washing my hair, I sometimes apply a small amount of grapeseed oil and massage it into my tresses. I then rinse and deep condition. My hair is instantly detangled.
  • Let It Shine. For my everyday styling, I like to add a little bit of grapeseed oil to my hair butters and creams. It creates a softer consistency, making it easier to apply and absorb into my hair. Best of all, it creates a remarkable shine. Kiss your dull strands goodbye! The dynamic maven behind the blog AGrlCanMac is also a dedicated advocate of grapeseed oil. She always has a plethora of creative mixes.
  • Take It Off. This is my favorite use for grapeseed oil…as a makeup remover! I actually discovered it by accident. No longer do you have to use the expensive (sometimes toxic) cleansers and removers. Just dab a bit of grapeseed oil on a tissue and swipe. It works wonders for eyeshadow and eyeliner. Of course, be careful not to get any oil in your eye!
  • Skin Soother. Like olive oil, you can use grapeseed oil as a great year-round moisturizer on your skin. It’s heavy enough for cold weather days, but light enough for the sweltering heat. Best of all, it’s not greasy either. Just like with the hair mixes, you can add grapeseed oil to your lotions and creams for maximum potential. It also helps to alleviate skin irritation after shaving.
  • Pucker Up. You can even use grapeseed oil on your lips! Curly Nikki has an excellent, very simple recipe for dry lips. The blog Healthy Hair and Body also has a recipe for a lip balm using grapeseed oil.

Hope you enjoy experimenting with this optimal elixir!

Have you used grapeseed oil before? How do you incorporate it into your beauty routine?

3 comments:

  1. I actually mix it with shea butter when I prepare to blow dry my hair. It really leaves it soft with a nice shine! And I only need a few drops of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive never used it but I want to try it as a heat protectant. I know kinkykurlyqueen on youtube uses it as a heat protectant, I'll probably try it when I flat iron my hair again in Dec.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love grapeseed oil! I use it along with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and honey for my monthly hot oil treatments

    ReplyDelete