8/8/11

Carrega's Corner: Don't Clam Up

By: Christina Carrega


Overheard: "That white woman has no idea about my struggle, I'm black, I'm a woman and I'm a natural. She can walk up to anyone and be accepted while I get the third degree because my appearance screams opinionated bitch."

I wish the idea that because of the color of our skin, the way we wear our hair and the fact that we aren't a man is not the topic of debates whenever African American's gather together.

But more than often, the discussion of our Blackness is always on the table.

As read on twitter via a Retweet from @lovecrissle: "I really wonder if white people have the same color debates we do. 'Omg this bitch is so alabaster ew i just can't even deal'" etc.

LoveCrissle makes a good point. Maybe within their communities Caucasians may question each others skin tone, but its not as severe as it is in the African-American community.

Whether we are shutting each other down within social networks joining in on #teamlightskin #teamdarkskin debates or making fun of each other by calling our natural curls "nappy, peezie or brillo-pad hair" it has to stop.

Why?

At the end of the day, we are Black no matter what "team" you support on Twitter or how long your lacefront can reach.

As for the comment I overheard, is there really something wrong with a woman who has an opinion? If a man doesn't want to converse with you because you look like you may have an opinion, then believe me, you've saved yourself from someone who would have been a pain your ass.

No woman, Black, White, Asian, Indian, Hispanic, Latino, should not, not have an opinion and if your curls represents that team then let it wave proudly.

No comments:

Post a Comment