9/21/11

Oil Based & Water Based Moisturizers


There are two different types of moisturizers one should consider when looking for products: oil based and water based.

Whereas oil based moisturizers coat the hair shaft, as well as seals in moisture, water based moisturizers penetrate the hair shaft. In order to use either moisturizer effectively, will must always apply your water based moisturizer first then the oil based moisturizer. Think, water first then oil.

Oils do not moisturize your hair effectively. Instead, they seal moisture in (and out) of your hair. They should only be used for sealing moisture, as well as adding shine to hair. One way of combating dryness is using a penetrating moisturizer, such as coconut oil. Coconut oil is the only oil that penetrates the hair shaft; other oils only coat it. EVCO can be used as a daily moisturizer, as well as a water based moisturizer.

The best way of knowing if your product is water based or not is to check the ingredients. If water (aqua) is the first listed ingredient then that product is water based. If water is listed, but not first -- it's not a water based product. Keep in mind, water based moisturizers penetrate the hair shaft.

Some water based moisturizers you can try:
  • Giovanni Direct Leave In (My favorite) 
  • Cantu Shea Butter Leave In 
  • Jane Carter Revitalizing Leave In 
What oil and water based moisturizers do you use? 

Follow POH on Twitter | Like POH on Facebook | Subscribe to POH on YT

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, I'm still trying to find a good leave-in water based moisturizer. I've tried the Cantu Shea, but it left my hair flaky, and the ingredients are questionable. I dont like using stuff I can't pronounce, but I'm also a snob about that kind of stuff.

    I usually just use conditioner and leave it in. I know that's triflin' but I mean, it works well enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cantu Shea Butter Leave In was the first leave in I tried & my hair hated it. I'm a big fan of the Giovanni Direct Leave In. It's amazinggg!

    ReplyDelete