9/6/11

Hair Q&A: What Protective Hairstyles Are Out There For Transitioners?


Marlene ask;
What protective hairstyles are out there if you're still transitioning? I can't do twist outs and I'm tired of my bantu knot out. I really want to try something different. Help! 

A: I'm not sure of the length of your hair but I assure you that they're are plenty of protective hairstyles out there aside from the good ol' Twist Outs and Bantu Knot Outs.

Now one of the first things I always revert back to when I think of protective styles is the good ol' weaves & wigs. The only reason I'd suggest wigs &/or weaves is because if you're like me & get bored easily, this can be a great way of experimenting with new 'looks' while keeping your hair protected. In 2009, I wore weaves all year around & had completely grown out my permed hair. My thing was as long as it is away, it's safe. Weaves &/or wigs will give you that variety of looks & styles you may be looking for while still allowing you to cater to your own hair.

If you're not a weave person, but don't mind extensions I'd consider trying Kinky Twist, Box Braids or Sengalease Twist. With these styles, your ends are protected and your scalp is easier to get to -- allowing you to still wash and moisturize as needed. Just remember if you do get them done, make sure they're never too tight.

If you are neither a weave nor extensions type of gal, I definitely start searching around the good ol' YouTube. There's so many styles you can explore, even with doing twist outs and bantu knot outs. I've also started a weekly segment where I'll be posting Fall Protective Styles that I've found searching YT, you can view the first post HERE.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I'd also like to add the list a protective style that I've recently discovered and fell in love with. I started doing crochet braids a few months ago. They're inexpensive, lightweight, they leave your scalp free, you can do the entire process yourself and they are very easy to maintain. Also, I use curly hair and some people even mistake it for my own hair. The process is a bit tedious but it is very simple. There are tonsssss of videos on youtube but here's one just to get you familiar with it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQed7jWS72Y&feature=related

    I hope that your list plus this is helpful to Marlene and other readers as well.
    Peace and Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I am Alisha Anderson.
    I have found your site not so long ago, but try to read every new article as i see your
    site as one of those interesting places online (it’s not such an usual case nowadays).
    This week i had an interesting discussion about (http://www.partyoverhair.com/2011/09/hair-q-what-protective-hairstyles-are.html) with my colleagues and i’m
    going to write about it. Your site looks a perfect place for an article on this topic.
    So if you would like that, it would be great if you could post it on your site.
    And that’s absolutely free of cause.
    Let me know here anderson.alisha8@gmail.com if you are interested.
    Regards
    Alisha Anderson

    ReplyDelete