9/10/11

Is It Possible To Have Healthy Relaxed Hair?


We all have our reasons for going natural. In my case, it was purely by accident but I still needed something 'cost efficient' to maintain. While a majority of my friends are natural, I do have a few that aren't & would never consider going natural in their lifetime. Within the six months of being natural, I've researched and learned some much vital information pertaining to natural haircare. My natural hair goals are more geared towards maintaining a healthy set of hair, as opposed to length. I feel if my hair is healthy, the length will come.

I've noticed through some forums I'm on the topic of healthy relaxed hair arises. Is it really possible to achieve healthy relaxed hair? I say of course! When I had relaxed hair, I would definitely have considered my hair healthy. So as I've gained greater knowledge on haircare within these last few months, I wanted to share some advice to my relaxed hair ladies in steps to maintaining a healthy set of hair.
  • Don't leave the relaxers in too long. One of the main things I realized I did wrong when I used to get my hair relaxed was allow for the relaxer to be left in way too long. Growing up as a black girl, I was always taught in salons that the longer you leave the relaxer in, the straighter your hair will be. I've always had obnoxiously thick hair so I always thought it was vitally important for me to sacrifice a few burn scabs in my hair to achieve that bone straight look I once loved so much. This is something I believe we are all taught & it is WRONG. If you are getting your hair relaxed, you shouldn't keep it in until it's bone straight. The straighter our hair becomes the less strength it has causing it break more easily. If you are going to get your hair relaxed, I suggest using a mild relaxer (Not those Super strength perms!). 
  • Wait at least 90 days before getting relaxers. I remember my stylists always saying I needed a touch-up every three weeks and a full relaxer every six weeks. Once again, absolutely not. My 16 yr old sister is living proof to me that you can still have straight hair without needing a relaxer. I believe her last relaxer was a year ago & she'll just get a wash & set with minimal heat every month or so. 
  • If you are going to use relaxers, only relax the new growth. This was only done for me when I needed 'touch ups' & when it was time for a full relaxer my whole head--from scalp to ends--was then saturated in relaxer. Don't do it! One of the important things about hair growth is maintaining healthy ends, which result in less breakage. By relaxing your ends, you are making your hair more vulnerable to breakage. 
  • Try to avoid using too much direct heat. I know, this seems like a ridiculous thing to say for ladies with relaxed hair who go day by day flat ironing their hair--but seriously, the less heat the better. Heat damage can be a major attribute to hair breakage. When I had relaxed hair I would always wrap it nightly to avoid having to flat iron it in the morning. Usually worked. And remember, there are always rollers. If you do have to use heat on your hair occasionally, I'd definitely suggest using Grapeseed Oil has a heat protectant, as it can withstand high temperatures. I'd also recommend air drying as your hair will appear thicker. 
  • Protect your hair at night. Whether relaxed or natural hair, you should always avoid cotton like the plague. Make sure to wear a satin scarf or bonnet, or pillowcase. 
  • Use Protective Styling. The less your actual hair & ends are out, the better. This way they'll be protected. I know I always just wore my hair out & never really saw any real growth. My hair was at my shoulder for all of my relaxed hair life it seemed. It wasn't until I begin wearing weaves that my hair begin growing more & more. I know when having relaxed hair, wearing it out is the easiest thing to do to it -- but I'd definitely recommend experimenting with more up dos & styles that can last you a few days. 
  • Deep condition, deep condition, deep condition! Whenever I would go into the salon, I'd always pay that $10-15 more to get the deep condition with my washes & relaxers. I never really understood why I was getting it, but I figured it had to be better for my hair. Deep condition is excellent for the hair. It helps lock in and retain some of that moisture that was lost after your shampooing. This is something that should be done at least weekly, especially after shampooing. 
  • Give your relaxed hair regular protein treatments. I know when I had relaxed hair I had NEVER heard of a protein treatment. One thing you should know is that the hair is made up of protein. Obviously, the proper intake of protein can contribute in growing your hair back. It's also good to give your hair an occasional protein treatment to combat breakage & combat that can be caused by relaxers, coloring, etc. Protein is important for keeping the hair strong. I'd suggest trying the Aphogee Two-Step Treatment Protein as a place to start with protein treatments. 
  • Substitute that grease for oil. When I had relaxed hair, I honestly never greased my scalp. I never liked that greasy feel & it always seemed like the grease would just weigh down my hair. Instead of clogging your scalp with grease, substitute for oil. I'd recommend something like Black Jamaican Castor Oil since it's a pretty thick oil that's great for moisture & shine. 

These were just some tips that I would suggest to any relaxed ladies out there looking to maintain a healthy set of hair, as well as naturals for that matter--minus the whole relaxing. As long as you wash gently, conditioner often, minimize heat use, moisturize often and protect your ends, you should have healthy hair--whether relaxed or natural.

Follow POH on Twitter | Like POH on Facebook | Subscribe to POH on YT

4 comments:

  1. Great post Ella! I'm def gonna share this with my relaxed friends ...there aren't many of them left tho lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this post =] although i am currently transitioning, i do consider my relaxed hair healthy. ive always taken great care of it. good hair = healthy hair!

    <3 jaz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I am Alisha Anderson.
    I have found your site not so long ago, but try to read every new article as i see your
    site as one of those interesting places online (it’s not such an usual case nowadays).
    This week i had an interesting discussion about (http://www.partyoverhair.com/2011/09/is-there-such-thing-as-healthy-relaxed.html) with my colleagues and i’m
    going to write about it. Your site looks a perfect place for an article on this topic.
    So if you would like that, it would be great if you could post it on your site.
    And that’s absolutely free of cause.
    Let me know here anderson.alisha8@gmail.com if you are interested.
    Regards
    Alisha Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was among the best posts and episode from your team it let me learn many new things. syska hair dryer review

    ReplyDelete