9/2/11

Biotin Health Challenge: 30 Day Check-In


Today is really Day 27 of my Biotin Challenge, but as I've been noticing the effects that Biotin is starting to do, I thought I should just share anyway. To read about my Biotin Health Challenge, or if interested in trying one of your own, please click HERE.

Now, when I first was started researching if I should take this vitamin I had read a lot of horror stories about it. Most of it having to do with skin breakouts. Being that I never had a real breakout in my life, this terrified me. So instead of taking 50mg of Biotin, like recommended, I thought I'd start off with a smaller dose to slowly introduce Biotin into my system.

I take one 10,000 mcg (or 10mg) Biotin daily with food, along with my multivitamin & B6 for energy. It's always best to take Biotin, as well as any B vitamins with food, so I'd always suggest that you take them with a meal, or a glass of milk. 

Nonetheless, within the 27 days of taking Biotin lately I've noticed the following:

  • I haven't had one breakout as of yet. When I was researching about Biotin, a lot of ladies talked about their breakouts probably being related to them not taking in proper amounts of water each day. To combat breaking out, I've attempted to drink at least 64 oz of water each day, as well as trying to maintain somewhat of a healthy diet. 
  • My nails grow even faster now & are stronger than they've ever been. So, my nails have always grown rapidly. I'd like to blame this on my crazy obsession with milk. I can go through a gallon of milk in a few days alone. As I started taking Biotin, I've noticed an increase in my nail growth. I like to keep my nails relatively short so lately I find myself having to cut my nails every week. I kid you not. Aside from them growing at a super fast speed, they are now harder than ever. My nails have a history of breaking from time to time, and the Biotin has definitely stopped that. 
  • My hair is definitely getting fuller. My hair has been growing, but I think it is too early to attribute that to the Biotin. But one thing I've noticed that I can attribute to the Biotin is that my hair has started to get thicker. My natural hair has always been thick, but within the 27 days that I've been taking Biotin, I've noticed my hair filling out, especially around the front of my head & edges. 
I told myself I would let the first month determine if I would continue taking the Biotin for the full 100 days. Since I haven't experienced any negative outcomes, I will continue to take it. As far as eventually increasing to Biotin 50mg, I'm still debating. Right now my body seems to like Biotin 10,000mcg & I don't want to mess that up. 

Have you tried Biotin? What were some of your experiences? 

1 comment:

  1. I have a multivitamin that has biotin in it, but I haven't been faithful in taking it. I'm going to get back to taking it and definitely pay attention to its effects.

    ReplyDelete