9/21/11

Featured Blogger: Jamila of The Fabulous & Frugal

The lovely Jamila featured me on her site The Fabulous & Frugal a couple of days ago, which you can check out HERE. I've been a big fan of her site since I've started my natural hair journey back in April & just wanted to feature her on Party Over Hair, so without further adieu I present to you ladies, Jamila! 


I absolutely love your blog, For The Fabulous & Frugal. It's a great blog for any naturals in college. How long has For The Fabulous & Frugal been up and what's the story behind it?
I started the blog in 2009, about 6 months after I did my Big Chop. I was getting lot of questions from people about my hair-- what products I used, what was my routine, etc-- so I decided to compile the little knowledge I had into a blog, so I could refer people to it. It soon blossomed into a pretty serious hobby-- people started sending me emails and I basically adopted the attitude, "I do the research so you don't have to." I felt like there was this whole world of knowledge about natural hair out there that I was so curious about, so I learned a lot by spending [probably way too much] time browsing the internet (read: obsessing over CurlyNikki.com). I soon discovered that a lot of the resources out there for natural hair were targeted towards women with substantial buget and time to take care of their hair. As an (at the time) college student, my routine had to be simile and my budget had to be small. Thus: College Curlies: A place for the fabulous and frugal.

Have you always been natural, or did you BC/Transition?
I transitioned for about 10 months before doing a BC. I hadn't actually planned on doing a Big Chop-- I wanted to stop getting relaxers to save money, and figured I'd get my hair straightened at a salon every few weeks instead. Once I started to feel my natural curls growing in, I got curious about what they'd look like, and decided to take a leap of faith and see. I'm so glad I did!


What type of hair regimen do you mostly follow -- Traditional, Natural or Ayurvedic? And, what is your current regimen?
I guess it's somewhere between traditional and natural. (I'd love to try an Ayurvedic regimen, but just haven't gotten around to it). I co-wash my hair twice a week, and shampoo every two weeks. I use whatever leave-in conditioner suits my fancy at the moment, and coconut oil and shea butter to seal.I twist or bantu knot my hair to style, and wear twist-out styles in between [co]wash sessions. Here's more on my regimen.

What is one of your favorite homemade hair recipes?
I am all about my at home deep conditioner recipe. I used to DC my hair every week, but nowadays it's closer to once a month. I use any cheapie conditioner (Aussie Moist and Hello Hydration are my best friends), honey, and oils (EVOO and coconut). I pop it in the microwave for about 25 seconds to melt it all together, stir, and apply to freshy washed hair. I leave it on with a shower cap for 30 minutes to two hours, and my hair is happy!


What are your favorite products or brands?
I love Herbal Essences conditioners. They smell great, work wonders for detangling, and are super inexpensive. When I have the budget for it, I'm also totally in love with Oyin Handmade products. I'm all about the way they do their business, and the products are delicious and really not that pricey. Other than that, I'm not married to any particular brand or product. I use what works for me and what's cheap.

Any advice you'd get to those that are transitioning or newly natural?
Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. Love your hair because it's yours. And at the end of the day,it's just hair. Do you.


Where can we find you?
Twitter: @JamilaReddy
Email: CollegeCurlies@gmail.com
Blog: CollegeCurlies.blogspot.com

Follow POH on Twitter | Like POH on Facebook | Subscribe to POH on YT

3 comments:

  1. that looks really cute! i just cut my hair though :S please check out myMelbourne hair makeup blog too when u have a moment

    ReplyDelete