9/14/11

Carrega's Corner: Awkward..

By: Christina Carrega 


Came to work and did my usual hello to the regulars I see in the building everyday when I was bombarded by a questionable and unexpected comment.

To paint a picture, as I inform you all before, I was feeling myself because I just got a tiny trim from my hair stylist who finally accepted that I'm not perming anymore. For about a week, I wore my hair straight just for the hell of it and Monday morning I walked into my building with my double strand twist loose style when I heard this response:

"You people and your different hair styles," said the white woman who works in the convenient store.

I abruptly turned around and in disbelief. Was I just hit with a "you people" comment, no way!

"What did you say?" I replied to the unnecessary comment.

Flustered at my immediate response, she quickly attempted to clean up her language and said, "Umm, oh, no I didn't mean you people, I just you know, can't understand who one week your hair is straight and the next it looks nice and curly when my hair does nothing but lay straight, stringy and dead."

"Well, [blanked out name] this hair came from my scalp, not bought or sown in, its all me, curly or straight and if you really want me to trip you out I can come in tomorrow with a wet and go look," I said with a sarcastic grin.

"Oh no, you don't have to do that, I guess I'm just a bit jealous is all," she said and walked out my office.

Has anyone received such "honesty" from another race or their own?


Follow POH on Twitter | Like POH on Facebook | Subscribe to POH on YT

3 comments:

  1. Before I first BC'd almost 2 months ago, I had been wearing a long weave with braids in the front. A co-worker sitting whispered in my ear, "Did you REALLY cut ALL your hair off? It was soooo beautiful!" I turned and smiled and whispered back, "Yes, but it wasn't MINE! THIS is MY hair!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did your co-worker react to the fact that it was a weave and not your natural locks? Negative? or did they drop the subject with an awkward pause? I normally get the awkward pause of curiousity until this one situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do so many different styles it doesn't surprise people anymore at school anymore but I heard this hispanic kid go I wish I had black hair I couldn't tell if he was joking or not I didn't care regardless I rock my fro hawk

    www.boltsoflight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete