7/31/11

Carrega's Corner: Workout &/Or Payment Plan?

By Christina Carrega


Went to the gym today! YAY!

As I walked in I had my hair in a bun and was ready to hit the treadmill, elliptical and other weight machines.

It took me a while to make use of my multi-gender facility since I was use to going to a women's only gym.

I couldn't help, but notice the few African-American women who seemed motivated to be in the gym, but didn't want to move too much and God forbid break a sweat.

Sporting their beautifully patterned silk hair scarfs that covered their wraps which trapped the heat that is trying to escape their body causing them not putting 100% into the workout.

I remember those days of not caring to work out because of the worry of sweating out my perm.

Never more quoth the raven.

Although I have discovered the importance of health the older I get, I can't help but worry about the woman who aren't taking care of themselves just to maintain a luxury that only fancies their features.

In Chris Rock's documentary Good Hair, the Emmy Award winner, interviewed women who would spend thousands of dollars on Remi hair before going grocery shopping, paying bills and rent.

Is this truly what beauty has become? Something woman have to get a second job just to maintain?

No comments:

Post a Comment