7/28/11

Hair Type Classifications


One of the important things when going natural is being able to correctly identify you hair type. Knowing what type of hair you have will make your whole journey a lot easier as you're able to find products that cater especially to your hair type. When I first when natural back in April, I was completely confused about this hair type classification system & didn't realize that your hair could consist of more than one hair type as mine does.  So I did some research & I found this great article on NaturallyCurly that pretty much broke down the types for me. The hair types include: Hair Type 2 (a-c), Hair Type 3 (a-c) & Hair Type 4 (a&b). I'm going to breakdown Hair Type 3c & 4a & b, since these seem to be the most common types found within our African American sisters.

Hair Type 3c - Curly Kinky 

  • Type 3c hair has tight curls in corkscrews with the circumference similar to that of a pencil or straw. The curls can either be kinky or very tightly curled with lots and lots of strands densely packed together. The very tight curls are usually fine in texture.
    • Hair Type 3c Celebrities: Heather Headley, Alicia Keys, Jada Pinkett-Smith

Hair Type 4 - Kinky 

  • Type 4 is kinky or very tightly curly with a clearly visible curl pattern. The circumference is usually crochet needle or even smaller. The hair is very wiry, very tightly coiled and very, very fragile. Type 4 hair can range from fine/thin to wiry/coarse with lots and lots of strands densely packed together. This type of hair has fewer cuticle layers than any other type of hair, which means that is has less natural protection from the damage you inflict by combing, brushing, curling, blow drying and straightening. This hair type is known to shank up to 75% of the actual hair length.
  • Two types of 4 subtypes:
    • 4a: Tightly coiled hair that, when stretched has an "S" pattern much like curly hair. It tends to have more moisture than 4b & has a definite curl pattern.
      • Hair Type 4a Celebrities: Macy Gray, Monique Coleman, Leela Jameas 
    • 4b: Has a "Z" pattern, less of a defined curl pattern. Instead of curling or coiling, the hair in sharp angles like the letter "Z"; has a cotton-like feel to it.
      • Hair Type 4a Celebrities: Esperanza Spalding, Jill Scoot, Erykah Badu

A few tips to keep in mind for your 3c &/or 4a/b Hair:

  • Use styling creams, butters and oils for type 4 hair
  • This hair type needs extra moisture and tender-loving care because it can be fragile
  • Detangle hair with a lot of conditioner in your hair and use a comb or detangling brush
  • Let hair air dry or use a hood dryer
  • Do not use a brush or comb on your dry curls
  • Reduce tangles by sleeping on a satin pillowcase or wrap hair in a satin cap

via NaturallyCurly

2 comments:

  1. I have 4A type hair, and I really believe this is great advice for a newly natural like myself =) I BC'ed about a month ago, and I am constantly making sure my hair is moisturized. That's the top concern right now for me. I also DC every week, and try to cowash during the week, but I do not have a consistent regiment as of right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this! I thought I had 4a hair, but according to this I have 3c because it is a complete curl, it's very tight, but it's curled.

    ReplyDelete