7/24/11

Carrega's Corner: Admission Is Free

By Christina Carrega



"Would you ever do that? I just couldn't," whispers a teenage girl with the 18" Yaki B2 ponytail to her friend at the Utica Avenue B6 bus stop.

"You ain't lying, if I did that, my hair would look like a mat," replies her friend sporting a bargain-priced lacefront from Jamaica Avenue, Queens.

"She's brave because I'd never do that," Yaki B2 said about the girl with a short, spiked hair cut since she just cut off all her permed hair.

How many times have you caught people giving your questionable stares in the streets? It could be your paranoia, maybe or maybe not.

Doesn't it make you wish you had a pamphlet to hand gawkers about, "The wonders of what their hair could look like without the weaves, perms or extensions."

Just like their doubting thoughts, us naturalist cannot recruit those to this side of the experience. Its a choice to be a natural just as much as it is a choice to be a sla...Um, I mean, to perm, weave or extend their hair.

Please excuse my somewhat bias tone about hair straighten, believe me, I was once an advocate for the perm, extension and wig.

So, I digress.

Becoming a natural takes patience with the texture, time for it to grow and extensive experimenting of products to find the right ones for you.

Of all these wonderful things to look forward to, keeping the health of your hair up to par is the most important.
  • Regular hair cuts are needed every 6 weeks. This rule applies for ALL hair types.
  • Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize. Keep your hair moisturized its very important in the prevention of breakage and split ends.
  • If you have styles like braids or double strand twist, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, use rubber bands to hold the ends. It will cause tremendous breakage, I learned my lesson the hard way. Use cloth based hair bands, they come off smoothly opposed to the rubber band's snap and pull.
  • To use hair grease or not? This is a personal debate I'm having right now. I generally don't use it because it makes my hair feel heavy and forces me to want to wash it the next day, but if you need to use a hair grease make sure the first ingredient is not petroleum. For hair to grow, your scalp needs to breath and if the petroleum-based grease is clogging it, it is unable to grow. I'm learning that drinking those recommended eight glasses of water a day helps with your scalps health as well. So its up to you to grease it or not.
More tips to come soon. Stick around Hair, the Party is just getting started.

Do you have any advice for females that just went or about to go natural?

No comments:

Post a Comment