7/23/11

Sealing In The Moisture


When first getting the use of my TWA, I had a difficult time understanding the concept of 'sealing in moisture'. I would cowash my hair daily and apply my products and within a few hours my hair would feel dry and brittle. After trail & error I realized there was two things causing this problem:
  1. The Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioner I was using at the time was causing my hair to dry out tremenendously showing me that my hair didn't like all the alcohol within the product. So I had to replace it.
  2. I wasn't properly sealing in the moisture causing it to dry out quickly. 
Keep in mind, sealing in the moisture works best on your washed days, when the hair is clean and fresh!

1. Start with wet hair.
Remember moisture comes from water. As long as your hair is wet, you'll have moisture.

2. Apply a leave-in conditioner, moisturizer or creme.
Right now I'm currently using Giovanni's Direct Leave In Conditioner which always leaves my hair feeling so soft and light.

3. Apply a top coat of an oil or butter.
I use a Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Vitamin E Oil blend for my top coat. I spray the mixture throughout sections of my hair making sure I massage the oil into my scalp. Some days I'll top my top coat off with my Eco Style Gel w. Olive oil. Remember applying the oil or hair butter is what really keeps the moisture sealed in. It is the most important step, so make sure you're never without your oil and/or hair butters.

4. Style as Normal.
Right now since I have a bigger TWA than I started with I'll just play around with my curls using a Rat Tail Comb and pretty much call it a day. The moisture tends to last into the next day, making it easier for me to two strand twist it at night.

What are some products you use for sealing in your moisture?

1 comment:

  1. I don't seal most of the time because my leave-in has oils/butters in it. In the fall/winter, I'll seal my ends with castor oil before putting my air in a bun/updo.

    ReplyDelete