7/26/11

Managing That Itchy Scalp


Every few weeks my scalp gets very, very itchy and I used to freak out unsure of what to do. I've never been one to grease my scalp, simply because I was so used to getting my hair done every Sunday that my scalp really never had time to 'itch'. So once I went natural & starting having this problem -- honestly didn't know what to do at first. I asked my best friend & she told me about doing an ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) wash, which I tried & worked! What I've started learning about my hair is that since I don't use shampoo on a monthly basis, by the end of 4-5 weeks or so my scalp becomes 'dirty' even while I'm cowashing it daily. The moment is begins the itch I do my ACV wash & it's bye bye to an itchy scalp. Since I'm in the process of still finding the right shampoo, I still do my ACV wash after cowashing my hair. So during my research days, I found other treatments that cure the itchy scalp, as well as getting rid of dandruff. Listed below are a few treatments I found to help you with your itchy scalp which most recommend using with shampoo -- it's really your choice. I haven't & still get great results, but I'm sure the results will get better once I start including the shampoo.

Apple Cider Vinegar
Mix 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in one cup of warm water. Shampoo, or condition your hair and pour this mixture on your scalp and hair. Massage your scalp with your fingertips. You can now leave it the mixture for 10 minutes and rinse it off. Most people prefer to leave the mixture in their hair. Your hair will have a slight smell of vinegar for some time only -- mine pretty much lasted the whole day, but it wasn't too strong where it was a bother. This is one of the best home remedies for dry itchy scalp relief.

Peppermint & Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil and peppermint oil can be used as a itchy scalp remedy. Mix a few drops of tea tree oil or peppermint oil into a cup of warm water. Pour this mixture over the scalp after shampooing, this will help relive itching.

Lemon or Lime Juice
Using Lime Juice: Take a glass of fresh lime juice, diluted in water. Use this mixture to rinse your hair for the last time while washing it. This will not only remove dandruff and cure itchy scalp but also give a natural glow to your hair.

Using Lemon Juice: Rub some lemon juice on the scalp while wet & rinse the hair after a few minutes.

Oatmeal
Take 1/4 cup oatmeal and soak it in water for 20 minutes. Mix well and then strain the liquid in a cup. Add 5 drops lavender oil and 5 drops rosemary and mix the liquids well and apply them on your scalp and leave it for 10 minutes.

Jojoba Oil
Warm jojoba oil is useful in moisturizing the scalp and hence easing & soothing Itchy Scalp due to dryness.

Do you have any remedies for itchy, dry scalps?

3 comments:

  1. This is very helpful!!! Was just told today about the AVC wash! I wash my hair on Sundays and my Wednesday my scalp is not happy! Looking forward to trying this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She Who Must Not Be NamedAugust 17, 2011 at 12:24 PM

    Tea tree and peppermint oil help alot! I add them to a pre-shampoo scalp treatment (mixed with coconut or olive oil) and add them in my ACV rinses. You can also use them in a scalp spritz (water &/or aloe vera and EO)s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to try some of these on my itchy scalp!

    ReplyDelete