7/19/11

Should You Transition or Should You Big Chop?


Technically, only you really know the answer to this question. Only you can determine whether you should transition or do a big chop to natural hair. And although this may be true, here are some important things to consider when making your decision.

Your Daily Hair
If you are one to constantly wear wigs and weaves, or even braided extensions for long periods of time you could easily transition this way. Your natural hair is braided up and out of harm's way as I like to put it. I actually wore weaves for about a year and some months, growing my perm completely out -- only to have cut it short and permed it once I got tired of the weaves. (-_-) The big chop could also be an option to consider -- depending on your natural hair length -- and be fine either way. If you wear your hair out mostly, straightened or in various other styles without adding hair, or without hiding your hair regularly -- then you my friend have a big decision to make.

Length Issues
If you are not ready to deal with short hair, go for the transition. If you are willing to try something new and give yourself a completely new look, go for the Big Chop. Or you can have the best of both worlds, changing up your wigs and/or weaves while you transition.

Time & Patience
If you don't mind and actually may enjoy washing, detangling, deep conditioning, applying treatments, moisturizing, twisting and just completely being dedicated to care for your hair and are patent enough to deal with the different textures of as you grow your perm out -- then go for the transition. If you are as impatient as I am and not confident enough in your styling skills then I say either do a Big Chop or wear wigs and/or weaves to hide your transition.

These are just a few things to consider when determining whether or not a Big Chop or transition is right for you. Only you know what's best for you and what you can handle. Best of luck on your journey!

Did you BC or Transition? Are you happy with your decision?

3 comments:

  1. I'm going with a transition, and although I haven't had many perms in my life (maybe 3-4) but I still feel like my hair is too many textures to not be damaged. I've had my hair straightened a lot and I think I may have some heat damaged hair. How can you tell if your hair is damaged beyond repair? Mine curls tightly on the right right side of my head but is more wavy curly in the front and left side... I can't tell if it's just the way my hair is or if it's damaged.. any insights?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey --

    I don't think your suffering from heat damage. One of the sure fire ways of knowing you've officially suffered from heat damage is when your hair looses its ability to hold a curl & just becomes straight. The moment your hair can't curl, that usually is one way of knowing heat damage occur.

    To me, it just sounds like you share a similar problem that our guest blogger Christina Carrega has, which is you have to completely different hair textures on each side of your head. It's common to have more than one hair texture in your hair. My hair has it, but instead of side to side it's moreso front to back.

    The right side of your hair may be a 4a/b & the left side & front of your hair maybe a 3c. But as long as your hair still has a curl pattern, no matter how loose it is -- I would say you haven't suffered from heat damage.

    But if you're going to continue straightening your hair, definitely try Grapeseed Oil as a heat protectant. Apply it to your hair before applying heat & you should be good!

    Hope this helped!

    Elle. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually say BC, because transitioning and the struggle with 2-100 textures is way too complicated. And with BC you can get away with a few months of wash-and gos and then do braids/weaves if you can't deal with the short stages.

    ReplyDelete