10/25/11

Carrega's Corner: Nail Chip.. No More?

By: Christina Carrega 


I tried the Shellac UV Gel Manicure about two weeks ago just to see if it lasted as long as it has advertised and I'm glad to report that it does!

With all of the gels, mousses, conditioners and shampoos we use with natural or permed hair we know how quickly a manicure can be ruined days after because we had to wash and style our own hair.

With the CND line of gel manicure polishes, I was able to frequently wash and style my hair as well as clean my house with chemical-based household products without a break or chip of the polish.

This new technique for the busy-everyday woman, reminds me of the acrylic tips I use to get back in high school. The only difference is, it doesn't weaken the nails.

It does, however, lose the color as the nail grows and if your nail chips the polish remains its shape until it is removed. I would not recommend trimming or filing the nail if it does happen to crack because the rest of the polish begins to crack as well and its not a good look.

After 15 days, and not to mention a vacation in between where I was in chlorine and sea water, I just got a refresher manicure and decided to be festive in the fall and get the hot pink color.

You're nails dry in 360 seconds on each hand!

The way the process goes is, the nail technician gives you a classic manicure, afterwards, he or she places the gel base coat on each hand. When one hand is finished it is placed into a UV lighted oven-like machine for approximately 90 seconds. When the light goes out, the first coat of which ever color you chose goes on and your hand goes back into the machine for another 90 seconds.

The technician I went to says that this is how the gel is dried "super fast" unlike a regular manicure when you have to sit under the mini-drier for 15 minutes for it to be completely dry.

The second coat is places on the nails and after another 90 seconds the final placement of the top-gel polish is added. Another 90 seconds later you're done and ready to go about your day.

The Shellac Manicure could run you from $17 to $40.

What do you think, is it worth the money?



Follow POH on Twitter | Like POH on Facebook | Subscribe to POH on YT

7 comments:

  1. Shellac manicure is a wonderful treat to yourself and to your nails. I'm sure of that because shellac manicure never fails to amuse me and I'm so impressed with the quality of this product. I hope I answer your question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you did! Thanks for the cosign and the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Gelish ( brush on gel polish) at home. It takes about a hour for a manicure and pedicure. Its a similar product to Shellac.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely. I wish I could find those here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Janice for stopping by. Sorry for the delay in my comment as I don't check this blog often anymore. All new posts & old posts are now up at PartyOverHair.com. Please check that out!

    L.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Shellac! That messed up my nails believe it or not! lol
    *Besos*
    Http://www.cmichellestyles.com
    Instagram: Cmichellestyles

    ReplyDelete